Monday, April 14, 2008

Arch Canyon Ruins and the New Bridge

Friday I went out in the field to check on road conditions and sign some illegal OHV trails. I tried heading up to the Bears Ears and was turned back by new snow and deep mud. I also found a vehicle that had run off the road. I stopped and looked in and there was a guy in the drivers seat. He had gone off the road the day before and had spent the night there. He was an ex-marine that was paralyzed from the waist down from a previous accident. I pulled him out and got him sent on his way. But before he left I told him to be thankful because I had felt impressed to drive that road that day. He said he was not religious bu that he had done a lot of praying during the night.

Later in the day I hiked into Arch Canyon which begins on the Forest and flows out into BLM lands. It is an amazing deep canyon with year round water, giant arches and anasazi ruins.The canyon had been in the news a lot lately as there is a OHV trail in the bottom of it that a lot of people including the Hopi and Navajo tribes don't think should be there. Fortunately the OHV trail ends at the Forest boundary so I don't have to deal with it.


Looking down Arch Canyon from the rim
Pristine ruins. Can you see them? There is a big two story ruin in the bottom left corner with it's roof still intact and many more along the steep ledge. The ones at the end of the ledge are very exposed. I imagine the kids that grew up in these structures learned to climb at an early age.
Moab's new foot/bike bridge over the Colorado. It should be done in May. I took the photo from high above it on a ledge in Arches NP

1 comment:

Gubba said...

Buck, cool pictures. Even cooler story about finding the guy in the car and helping him out. Your job sounds awesome. You government workers got it made!!!!! Hey Andre's son drew out for Turkey down your way. It starts this weekend but I think he is goin to come down next week sometime. Maybe you could point them in the right direction. Let me know