Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hell Roaring Canyon

I heard about a Barrier Canyon pictograph panel in Hell Roaring Canyon a while ago, so today I went out to see if I could find it. Hell Roaring is a large canyon that runs into the Green River. A long time ago, before we were even married myself and Alina and my Dad and a bunch of family floated down the portion of the Green River where Hell Roaring Canyon enters the Green. At the confluence of the two canyons there is one of the most famous Denis Julien inscriptions. I have not been back into the canyon until today. To get to the pictograph panel you have two options; a sketchy downclimb involving a belly crawl and exposure or an old "tenuous" stock trail that is literally nailed into the cliff wall and is falling apart. I opted for the stock trail since I went in by myself.

You can see the old stock trail angling across the cliff face. You would have to be one crazy cowboy to push a herd down or up that trail.

This is a very faint part of the panel. I had to play around with the light a lot to be able to see it. By the shape of its horns it looks like it is a very fat antelope.

Interesting pictograph that seems to be emerging from the underworld


The main panel. The main figure is about 6 feet tall. It appears that a comet or something is on his left




A different view of the main panel showing the alcove where it is located and the Katchina Towers in the background









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Photos, I have a goal to find every D. Julien inscription from Vernal to Lake Powell. So far I have found one looked for one all day at Lower Red Lake. I need to start looking more.
By the Way do you have a job?

Allan Stellar said...

As always: Great photos!

But I'm curious about the D. Julien thing? A google search didn't bring up much, other than there are a few around there. Who was he? How many inscriptions? What is the story of this man?

I'd like to know more...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the Comet Catcher petroglyph photo. I was lucky to go down the stock trail - sometimes by the seat of my pants - and sit at the foot of the petro panel. I later wrote a piece for Mountain Gazette that included the Comet Catcher. Be happy to send it to you if you'd like to read it. You can email me at shebetsherlife@gmail.com
I love the respect you show in your blog. ms