Sunday, April 12, 2009

Coast

We made a pilgrimage to the edge of the continent last week part work, part fun. I went to the interagency trails planning training that was held on Tomales Bay this year. We spent all week laying out trails in the coastal ranges and hiking different trails looking at trail designs and structures in the Mount Tamalpais area.

Every time I go to the coast it feels like travelling to a different world from the arid Colorado Plateau and Great Basin that I am used to. Everything is so green and humid, and the trees are all so different. Redwoods, huge Coast Live Oaks, Madrones and Bishop Pines.

The ocean itself is such a foreign entity to me. Growing up on the eastern edge of the Great Basin (Wasatch Front) the first time I actually remember seeing the ocean was in Brazil travelling by bus at night, I could see the moon reflected in it and I had no idea what it was. I think I actually asked somebody on the bus what it was.

Even though I realize the Earth is 70% water it still seems unbelievable to look out across that much water always moving and crashing into the land. It doesn't seem right for something that big to be moving. I always forget how loud it is too, out on Point Reyes it was almost deafening. I was reading in National Geographic last month about Native American names in North America and saw that the word "Malibu" (as in that place in southern California)translates something like "that place over there where it is always noisy". Sounds like a pretty good description.

The boys looking out into the wild surf off Point Reyes


I love this photo, it looks like Ryder and myself sitting down amoung the carcasses of dead aliens on the beach

Sculpted Beach


Tule Elk.
This suspecies of Elk that used to live in the marshes and deltas of Californias Central Valley was presumed extinct and then a small population was found and transplanted out to Point Reyes.



21 armed purple sunflower starfish that Alina found in a tidepool, of course River was the only one that dared pick it up.





4 comments:

McKell said...

Wow, look at that beard. I like the alien carcasses. They only have orc carcasses on the beach here, so it is a nice change of scenery.

me said...

Those waves look big in the pictures. Next time you need a boogie board and wet suit.

Right now we are getting pounded by snow. It might be better to brings skis down this weekend instead of a boat!

mena said...

Who are you calling old? I think we are in the same boat.
when are we going to get together again? Let's go play somewhere.

BELIA VILLAFANE said...

so many beautiful photos of so wild places. Keep posting those amazing photos for the sake of all views.
Congratulations!