Tuesday, September 29, 2009

5/8 Moon

Last Friday I took horses back into Dark Canyon to meet up with our District Archeologists and volunteers who are continuing the inventory of the Wilderness. My Dad and Carl came in with me this time and it was great to have them along. The weather was perfect warm days and cold nights. We went up several side canyons I had not been into before and visted some new ruins.

The vehicle driving the supplies to the trailhead got stuck and ended up being four hours late, which meant we did not get back to our camp (after packing thier supplies in) until about midnight. It was nice to see the canyon in the moonlight. It always amazes me how well horses do in the night, picking the trail up even when it is pitch dark.

I was glad my Dad got to see some of the places where I work. He is a pretty resiliant guy, it is hard for him to get around sometimes but he never complains and is always up for any adventure, even a midnight ride through rough country. As we rode through the night he said he was glad we had a 5/8 moon to ride under. Only my Dad who has spent his life with a tape measure would measure the moon in 1/8ths.



Dad and Carl getting ready to leave camp

Last light in Horse Pasture Canyon




Exposed ruins, watch your step when you go fetch the corn


Heading up Horse Pasture Canyon


3 comments:

Newty said...

That looks like a fantastic ride. I'm jealous.

Grandma Nancy said...

Bri,
Rick was so sad that he couldn't go. He has wanted to do that ride with you for a very long time. Maybe next time you go. He just bought a horse, so he is getting ready.
Beautiful pictures.

mena said...

love your dad. love the photos. we missed you at the reunion.