Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Red Mountain Pass Backcountry

We made a trip over to Ouray last weekend to soak in the hot water and be surrounded by big mountains. The San Juans are amazing and not really all that far from Moab. Toad and myself got an early morning ski tour in around Red Mountain Pass. I had never skiied in the San Juans so I was expecting to just do a short tour and scout the area out. We ended almost summiting MacMillan Peak at 12,800 feet and finding amazing snow conditions up high, even though it has been a week since the last storm. Once we were above treeline we were surrounded by high peaks and alpine terrain.

Good sized avalanche in US Basin that we could see from Macmillan


Todd skiing excellent recrystallized powder above 12,000 ft


Looking over towards the high country between Red Mountain Pass and Telluride



Skiing back to the Pass









2 comments:

Newty said...

Looks like some good turns were earned. If you boys ever decide to expand your horizons and desegregate and realize we are all one, give me a call, I'm like Rosa Parks on a board.

wild bri said...

I would invite you but since I received no invitation for the last two Westwater trips that you went on, I cannot invite you sorry. It has nothing to do with your board just a rule I live by :)