Sunday, December 2, 2007

more November

I thought I would throw a little scripture on the quotes board, (it being the Sabbath). Another important lesson from the scriptures.



When everyone came down for the Folk Festival we also climbed Elephant Butte (which Alina and Ty already posted on their blogs). It was a fun, easy climb. The scariest part of the climb was the kit fox we accidentally trapped on the top of the climb that almost ran over Creed's head. The fox actually ran straight down the cliff in the background of the photo that we rappelled down. Sorry fox. There were a lot of interesting names written in the summit register (a lot of local old timers), and the views were amazing of the entire Moab area.


Every place we have lived as soon as they find out I work for the BLM or Forest Service they throw me into the Scout program. If you know me, you know how I feel about Scouts (the uniforms are a bit militaristic and most Scout groups practice outdoor skills that are about 50 years out of date i.e. cutting down live trees, burning garbage, killing everything that moves, etc...). But I do enjoy getting the boys out into the wild and having them get around on their own two feet, away from cell phones and X boxes. Moab is a great place to be Scoutmaster (actually assistant to the Regional Scoutmaster), with unlimited places to get Scouts into fatal situations. We took them out in November and rode the entire Slickrock trail (12 miles). There is a shorter Practice Loop but the boys were determined that we take them on the long trail. We had several near death experiences and a little blood but everyone survived. Lesson learned: make sure kids know how to use hand brakes before heading out on a bike with 1000+ foot drops. The photo shows a couple of scouts above the Colorado River.


I really like this photo of the Porcupine Rim. I took it one day while doing fieldwork, surveying an illegal trail. The rim starts in the La Sals and runs all the way down to the River. The little burg of Castle Valley can be seen in the distance at the base of the cliffs.

5 comments:

McKell said...

Wow assistant to the regional scout master, Dwight would be proud.

wild bri said...

I am so glad you got the reference Kell, you are so hip.

Unknown said...

hello future merril smart, the silver beaver award is in the mail

miranda said...

Don't forget your only "Assistant to the Regional Scout Master". What is a 'Regional' Scoutmaster, anyway???

J. Melody said...

I like this blog. I wish more men in the family would record thoughts.

Speaking of scouts, I don't know how Creed has dodged that bullet. I think Bri should post a picture of himself fully attired in the militaristic outfit...hankerchief and all.