Sunday, May 11, 2008

Pinballing down the Price

Yesterday I met Ty and Creed in Green River and we dropped a car off on drove around to the metropolis of Woodside, Utah (abandonded gas station along Highway 6) and put our kayaks in the mighty Price River. We had floated this strecth about 10 years ago during high water and wanted to try it again.

The "River Runners Guide to Utah" saya that 4 feet is enough to run this section but that 5.5 is much better. The river was running 5.3 when we put on, which I would say is about the limit for floating it. The river has lots of rocky drops that you just bump and grind down at this level. Lots of manouvering around boulders. I actually had to walk three of the rapids because there was just not enough water to float me and my boat. Another foot of water would have made things a lot smoother.

This stretch of river has some great rock art along it one is a life sized bighorn several hundred feet up the canyon walls that you can see from the river.


Creed trying to figure out his next move in a boulder garden

The new rockfall rapid, I think the rocks fell in the river in 2005. We portaged

2 comments:

me said...

I hear my next purchase needs to be an inflatable kayak to run some of the small rivers. Look out Hobblecreek hear I come. When does the purchases stop!

tiffy girl said...

DAMMIT! DAMMIT DAMMIT! what is wromg with you people? My # is 836 2256 put it in your phone! was I mean to you as a kid or something? Have I hurt your tender feelings, or offended you in some way. If you don't wanna invite me on ski trips fine but you better stop boating without me or all those rubber boats may end up with unrepairable knife slashes. CALL ME! by the way Bridal viel is up right now if your up for a challenge. I'll be there every afternoon this week. come on up.
Pollywog