Monday, January 19, 2009

Big Water Yurt

I spent last week at a Fire Resource Advisor Training in beautiful downtown Ogden. I only drove the wrong way on a one way street once, not bad for me and my city driving skills. After the training I met up with Creed, Ty-Ty and Nate and we skiied into the Big Water Yurt up Mill Creek Canyon.

We decided to get into the yurt via Big Cottonwood Canyon up Mill D and cross the ridge into Mill Creek. The snow was surprisingly good after 10+ days of no snow and high pressure. Enormous facets are growing on the snow surface which could make for some sketchty avalanche conditions after the next big storm. Sam, Craig and Brandon came in later and got to the yurt at about midnight after a very cold ski/hike up Mill Creek.

After getting out of the mountains on Sunday I found out my Dad was being taken in for an emergency gall bladder removal, so I stuck around Springville Sunday night to make sure everything was ok and now I am back in Moab.


View out of the yurt dome

Always a nice sight after a cold day in the mountains

Looking through the window at the Yurt Dwellers Creed, Ty and Nate devouring key lime pie.

Heading up towards Dog Lake

Hauling in the essentials including a 6 pack of Henry Weinhards (Root Beer of course) and a key lime pie.

5 comments:

me said...

Good times!!! I had a lot of fun and can see now why people back country ski plus it was a beautiful day. I have a picture of Tyler on the summit and I told Miranda that is where my "hell" ended and Tyler's began. My shins look like someone took 60 grit sandpaper to them for an hour. If that's what it takes to ski some freshy all do it again, maybe.

mena said...

Love the photos. I hope all is well with your dad.

Newty said...

Let me once again thank you for the INVITE! if your Pops wasn't in the hospital I''d be handing out some beatdowns. Hope he feels better soon! Leave me out of just one more ski trip and the Murdocks are offically off my Grand canyon Invite list. What the Hell? Seriously, what the Hell?

Julie Castellon said...

Hey... we could have helped you find your way around town. Did you learn a lot in our "big city"?

Looks like you had lots of fun in the crazy cold.

How is your dad? And your mom?

creed said...

You forgot to mention the epic Blitz game where I schooled everyone, including Brian who uncharacteristically "knocked" with a mere 21 while already having 2 losses in the final rounds!
And Newty, no invites until "Rubin & Ed is safely back in my possession.