Saturday, January 10, 2009

Perigee

The moon was at perigee tonight (the closets it gets to Earth along it's orbit) so it appeared larger than at any other time in the last 15 years. We climbed our favortite slickrock dome to watch it rise. I made everybody hike up and we were about an hour early, allowing plenty of time for everyone to get very cold, but it was all worth it. As the moon came up it was very large and the kids were thouroughly impressed.

Playing pothole hockey waiting for the moon to rise

Moonrise over the Sierra La Sal


"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”
Buddha quotes


Mega moon rise over the Porcupine Rim









1 comment:

me said...

Nice Pics! I also took advantage of the beautiful moon last night and I may post my pics on our blog. It sure was cold and I thought my camera was going to freeze up.