Friday, August 7, 2009

I spent yesterday hiking into some of the more remote portions of the forest with the District Archeologist and the Lone Peak Hot Shot crew to do some fuel reduction around some of our more vulnerable cliff dwellings that contain a large of amount wood. One of the fires that is currently burning could potentially threaten the ruins if it moved in the right direction, so we went in an made a premptive strike and thinned out some of the vegetation around them to give them a better chance, just in case.

As a side note, this little excursion proves that we don't remove Anasazi ruins from within designated wilderness as inferred by the "Take Back Utah" group, we actually go to great lengths to protect them.


A full rainbow directly over the canyon and fire

Turkey track petroglyphs and some of the ruins that we were trying to protect.


3 comments:

Allan Stellar said...

I passed through Moab today. Stopped to do the Delicate Arch trail. I also see that Ed Abbey's old house is up for sale. If I had the money, I'd buy the thing...

Gubba said...

Propaganda, I know you were really hauling off the anaszi ruins just after you took these pictures, Take Back Utah!!!

Unknown said...

Okay, I just want to know where we're hauling them to?