Sunday, August 16, 2009

Looking for a Peaceful Sunday Drive

After the requisite 3 hour church meetings (we really need to work on cutting that back to an hour, tops). We headed up to find some peace and quiet in my other place of worship. We drove up to Medicine Lake with the idea of walking through some of the alpine meadows and throwing a few flies at trout. La Sal Pass is one of my favorite places in the La Sals, high alpine peaks all around and views clear over to the San Juans and Ute Mountain in Colorado.
Then I remembered why it can be so frustrating trying to recreate on the mountain I work on as well. On the way up we saw two women on OHV's, one carrying a small child with no helmet (both dangerous and illegal) but I thought to myself "today I am not going to worry about it I am not working and they are on a legal road". So we drove up to the lake, as I was putting my fly rod together and untangling the kids poles I noticed a new OHV track cutting right through the middle of the large meadow at the pass. Once again, I am not opposed to responsible motorized recreation, but some days it seems that I see less and less of the responsible variety and more and more of the "It is my right to drive where ever and when ever I want" variety. The new track really irritated me, so I took a mental note that I would send someone back up on Monday to sign and try to rehab the illegal trail, so much for relaxing.

As I went to make my first cast, here comes the OHVs driving right into and across the meadow. Now I am beyond mad and all thoughts of fish rising to a caddis are gone. I handed my rod to my nearest son and took off on foot to "bust some perps". I finally caught the OHV riders and flagged them over. Two teenage girls and the same little kid. I asked them if they thought they were on a road? They both answered no. I asked them if they thought what they were doing was acceptable? They both said no. Then I explained that they could both receive tickets for driving off road and not wearing helmets, gave them Travel Maps and a list of rules for motorized use and told them to drive over to their parents and explain what I had just told them and if they had questions I would be down at the lake trying to catch some fish.

There are 1000 miles of open roads and motorized trails on the Moab/Monticello Ranger District alone, why can't people stay on them? I read today that there are 70,000 miles of open roads on public lands in Utah ( I have not checked the accuracy of this total, but it sounds about right). There are plenty of legal and appropriate places for motorized recreation, despite what "Take Back Utah" says. There is no excuse for driving off road across an alpine meadow. Use your legs, let your feet come in contact with the actual Earth once in a while, it will do you good.

There was an interesting opinion piece from an OHV rider in the Tribune today about the "Take Back Utah" rally from a fellow OHV user. Read it here. I love when somebody rational and thoughtful gets involved. We need more of that and less yelling and demonizing of those you don't agree with.


Meadow with new tracks

Boys on a log with Tuk in the background

Medicine Lake


1 comment:

Ruahines said...

Kia ora Wild Bri,
As Abbey wrote, more or less, you won't see anything from a road or car, you have to get out and walk or crawl, then you MAY see something or not.
It is sad to read of this growing attachment to things other than the earth, but glad to read you are out there.
Cheers,
Robb