Saturday, July 19, 2008

Bears and Big Browns

Last weekend we headed north to visit family and scare the kids with a Mexican clown (see the family blog). Ty, Nate, Dad, and myself went to a new section of 6th Water to try it out. We ended up hiking quite a ways in which usually means better fishing. I think everything is better the farther you are away from a road. Tyler caught several very big browns and I accidentally deleted the photos so you will just have to believe me. Maybe Nate will post the photo of his big Rainbow he caught for verification. We ended up losing my Dad, we were pretty sure he had fallen somewhere and broken a leg. We searched for him for about three hours. He ended up being back at the truck sleeping in the shade. I'm putting a tracking device on him next time.

Yesterday I took the scouts and River up on the mountain to rebuild a barrier on the edge of the Mount Peale Roadless Area. This is the second time I have rebuilt it since I came here. It is a continuous frustration of mine that people think they literally need to drive everywhere--get out and walk. We have hundreds of miles of roads and trails open to motorized vehicles, and people still have to create new roads. I hope gas goes to $10 a gallon maybe people will walk more.

We saw three bears on the way up so the kids were worried all night that one was going to come into camp.

River in Laurel Meadows contemplating life or maybe just looking at a bug

No comments: