Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Brookies, Grayling, and Sideburns

Todd has been working as a wilderness ranger in the High Uintas Wilderness this summer so we decided to go up and give him some company the last few days. He has been enforcing the new camping and fire regulations and I think he decided to grow the scariest facial hair he could just to drive his point home with all of the maximum impact scout troops he talks to.
The Uintas always reminds me of my first long backpack trips and catching fish on flies and a bubble. It is where so many Utah kids get their first taste of big wilderness.

Farney Lake

A big Brookie that River caught at Rainbow Lake



Overlooking the Rock Creek drainage and Brinton Meadows with Ranger "Wolverine"

Rivers first fish, an Artic Grayling, we ended up eating it and we were quite surprised how good Grayling tastes

Lunch on Fish Creek

Tyler casting on Rainbow Lake with Mt. Agassiz in the background



Ranger Camp in Grandaddy Basin

3 comments:

troutbirder said...

Beautifull country. Enjoyed your blog. Perhaps spouse and I can go camping in your area sometime.
troutbirder

me said...

Hi troutbirder, nice to meet you(look out Bri). Nice brookie River, I am impressed. I can remember growing up and the hundreds of fish I have caught using a bubble and fly, good times!
After seeing the pics I have the Uintas on the brain and need to get up there. So who is ready to go again?

Gubba said...

Sounds good Nate; Sign me up, Looks like a great trip Buck, reminds of the time Strawberry Outfitters took the Boy scouts in to that country