Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Over the Thanksgiving break my Mom told me about being upset by a joke that she had heard at work. It went something like"Did you know they are ripping out the "Rose Garden" at the White House to plant a watermelon patch". And then I read about the same joke in an article in High Country News called "The persistence of bigotry, Western style"

Unfortunatley many of us have probably heard or been texted one of these racists jokes, or heard someone say "I can't belive you voted for a black man". So far, I have only heard them second hand. I know that the people sending them really don't consider themselves racist and just think they are being funny, but I think it really shows the underlying racial predjudices that many people in this country, the West and this State have.

If you hear one of these little comments don't stand by and let it pass, say something. Not that you have to make a scene but say something, don't let it continue unchallenged.

I remember returning from a winter backpacking trip in Escalante and stopping at the Aquarius Diner in Loa (maybe Bicknell I can't remember) and having the waiter/chef tell us he had moved from So. California to get away from all the n$%&rs. I was blown away that people actually still felt that way. Nobody said anything to the guy (he was pretty sketchy, but he did play the harmonica for us).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sketchy to say the least, plus he was making our food and changing our tires across the street, he could have ruined our lives, but i bet he was just joking

me said...

You think Utah is bad try tracting in the back country of Tennesse and see what they have to say. I took a picture of one house with a sign they had up, not good! In some areas I was told if you were black you may not make it out.