Thursday, February 26, 2009

The beaver and the bobcat

We took the sleds up the rapidly melting Warner Lake road today to the snow line and rode into the Warner Lake campground. We then skiied over Warner Lake and up into Mill Creek to look for some more loop opportunities for our nordic trail grooming program. I had never skiied in this part of the range so it was great to get up there. It rained over 9,000 feet in the La Sals last week which left a bullet proof crust on everything, but as warm as it has been the south faces are already starting to corn up. I am still in powder mode, it is too early for corn.

I skiied out onto Warner Lake where we spend a lot of the summer canoeing and fishing and found a set of bobcat tracks (see photo) he had been hanging out at several holes in the ice that I think the resident beaver has been keeping open for his use. I did not see any signs of carnage so I think so far the beaver has evaded the bobcat.

No comments: