Monday, February 2, 2009

New Terrain

We went back north last weekend to go out for Alinas birthday and to get another one of Rowans cavities filled. I was able to get an early morning ski in Saturday with Todd and some other friends (retired forecaster Dave Kikkert and one of Todd's college friends Kelly). We left at 5 AM and met at the trailhead at 6. Creed told me Dawn Patrol was only for college kids and heroin addicts and I have to partly agree. It was nice to be skiing before the sun came up in the dark. We skinned up Mill B South (I want to find out who the pioneer was that came up with the very descriptive Mill A,B,C,D South and North classification, what an imagination) and skiied to the ridgeline between Mill B and Broads Fork. It was all new terrain to me and it is very impressive. Massive peaks and miles of untouched snow everywhere. Mill B is in the Twin Peaks Wilderness so the helicopters can't dump the rich doctors/dentists/CEOs off on top of you in there and you see a lot less people than other parts of the Wasatch because it is a ways in to the good skiing. But it is worth it.

Skin track to Heaven, Sundial Peak in the background.


Todd, Kelly, Dave on the Mill B/Broads divide looking down the run. Dromedary Peak in the back

Looking back up the run. 3 telemarkers and one randonee


Looking over to the legendary "Bonkers" in Broads Fork. There is one lone skiier on the up track he's hard to see tbecause the terrain is so massive. The run had slid on the last storm cycle and had debris in it.



First light on Mount Olympus across Big Cottonwood





5 comments:

Allan Stellar said...

I sure do love your adventures and stories of skiing in the backcountry. Why? Because I ain't gonna be trudging in the snow anymore. I have become a sun loving, soft Califonian. No more snow for me. So I live vicarously through others. Thanks!

Newty said...

I also love your winter stories of skiing the backcountry. Why? Because you live in Moab and I live in mapleton and you lost your phone and my phone must have died and my computer must not work and evidently the post office won't deliver to my house and therefore it is completely impossible for you to communicate an invitation to me. Thanks!

me said...

My shins hurt just looking at those pics. Looks like fun and lots of good turns. I am going to keep my eye out for some used year end AT gear.

wild bri said...

Paul
You are invited to ski in the La Sals with me any day just give me a call. The Wasatch skiing is usually last minute planning, I really don't think "hey lets not invite Paul". We just jump in the truck and go, plus you are a snowboader so I don't know if it is ok to be seen with a knuckle dragger in the BC :)

Gubba said...

After following your adventures on your blog for some time now I am still ammazed at the amount of adventures you can pack into one life! You are my hero!! Maybe I will wisen up and start taking advantage life more fully?