Monday, March 23, 2009

A Peace to End All Peace

I am currently reading a book called "A Peace to End All Peace" about World War I (the War to End All Wars). The first thing I realized is how little I know about world history. I thought they were supposed to teach me this stuff in college? I guess I was too busy studying Dendrology and Biology, next time I go to college I am getting a degree in History (then ethnobotany).

The book is primarily about the Ottoman Empires role in World War I and the creation of the modern Middle East. I have done research on how the Middle East was created (politically speaking) but never realy understood how much of a role Western Imperialism played in creating what the Middle East is today.

The other point I have been pondering lately is how important history actually is to a country and a people. Everyone has heard the saying that goes something along the lines of "those that don't know thier history are destined to repeat it" (can't remember who said it?). Without knowledge of history we really are just floating in time unattached and clueless of why the world is how it is, simply repeating ourselves over and over.

One line from the book I found particularly interesting was an article printed in the Times August 1920, which asks

"How much longer are valuable lives to be sacrificed in the vain endeveour to impose upon the Arab population an elaborate and expensive administration which they never asked for and do not want?"

The article was specifically referring to uprisings in Mesopotania (what Iraq used to be called) against British rule in thier country. Sound familiar.

1 comment:

Julie Castellon said...

Interesting. It is odd to me to feel these stirrings, desires to learn about so many different things. I am reading a biography of Chief Joseph right now... very interesting. Please keep mentioning books you are reading so I will have good ideas of what to read! I read a great book on ethnobotany (what I dream of studying once the kids are all gone) by Paul Cox. Let me know if you want to borrow it!