Monday, June 9, 2008

River flowing from the Sunrise


We just got back floating the San Juan with the whole family. It rained and snowed on the drive down but the sun broke through the clouds as we put our boats in and we had great weather the whole trip, it actually never got very hot which is unheard of on the San Juan. The kids love living on the river, playing in the sand, collecting driftwood swords, and catching toads.


The San Juan is a mellow float with just a few minor rapids, but I have always loved this river. It flows through some of the wildest portions of the Colorado Plateau and is littered with signs of the ancients. I have found Navajo scarecrows in it's sidecanyons. It has intrigued me and represents one of the things I love about rivers; thier role as boundary. Humans have always used rivers as boundaries and used the imagery associated with boundary to represent death, crossing over, the other side. The San Juan is a very literal boundary between the Navajo World and the Anglo World. Even before we Anglos drew the reservation bounday along the river, the Navajo used the river as a boundary. Traditional Navajos perform specific rituals before crossing over to the north and any deer or elk killed to the north of the river have to be cleansed before they are brought back south over the river to be eaten.
On another note, after linking my last post to the Radio West website, Doug Fabrizio read my post on the show. Fortunately I had erased everything that may have offended somebody. But it just goes to show that what you put on your blog is not private and may actually end up getting read on the radio. Heres the link to the show where he quoted me. For the record I do not refer to myself as "wildbri"

4 comments:

renostar said...

Wow! Blogger fame and fortune is just around the corner. I think I'll call you Wild Bri from now on. Wish we could have joined you guys on the river.

Julie Castellon said...

Wild Bri... to me you are a super star. Anyone who gets quoted by Doug Fabrizio shoots right to the top of my list. I can't believe I didn't have NPR on at that moment! Way to go Wild Bri. I have always found you to be quite eloquent.

Unknown said...

Wild Bri the Guy! just kidding. i just thought i would add to the annoyingness. i can't wait to hear more about the river trip... and especially about the show. that is awesome. todd will be so pleased. you and alina are both good writers.

Gubba said...

Impressive!!!! and you thougth I was cool for having my picture in that magazine. Looks like we are both famous now, maybe we can retire off the profits