Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Moab, the "New" West

Doug Fabrizio is in town this week broadcasting his show "Radio West" this week. Today they were discussing the town of Moab, how it has changed and if the shift from extractive industry to a tourist base economy has worked. Pretty interesting program. You can find it here.

Ed Abbey had this to say about Moab in his book Desert Solitaire "For myself I'll take Moab, Utah. I don't mean the town itself of course but the country which surrounds it-the canyonlands. The slickrock desert. The red dust and the burnt cliffs and the lonely sky-all that which lies beyond the edge of the roads."

I have to say that "all that which lies beyond the edge of the roads" is the reason I always wanted to end up here. But now that we live here, the community and the people that live here are also some of the reasons I want to stay.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very nice. very quotable.