Wednesday, June 25, 2008

South Elk Ridge/Dark Canyon

We have a new District Ranger (my boss), so I took him out the last couple of days to show him the Dark Canyon Wilderness that we manage. We spent a night at the Gooseberry Guard Station on Elk Ridge and took the ponies down into Horse Pasture Canyon and looped back up Dark Canyon. Our retired Range Manager came on the trip as well. His name is Jimmie Forrest, which I think is the greatest name ever if you are going to work for the Forest Service. He worked on the District for almost 40 years so it was great to have him along to point out features that I have walked past several times already like hidden springs, arches and ruins. I also got down in the head of Hammond Canyon. I was hoping to get to some of the larger ruins, but had to turn back when it started getting dark.




Me, Rags and Zipper, faithful government employees






Gooseberry Guard Station



Horse Pasture Trail, if you're smart you walk this section


The head of Hammond Canyon

Down in the canyon


1 comment:

Gubba said...

That is one sweet gig you got goin on down there!!!!!!