Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fall Float

We made a quick low water run down Desolation and Gray Canyons over the last four days and proved that if you wake up and get on the river and pull on your oars all day long until dusk you can make it down the 84 miles from Sand Wash to Swaseys Beach in four days in low water. Next time we need to take 6 days.

I grew up running this river and have taken my boys down it almost every other year since river was a year old, but we had never floated it in the Fall. The weather was perfect (except for an hour or two on the last day when we got some rain), the cottonwoods were changing, bighorn sheep were down low along the river, massive beaches were exposed all along the river and we only saw a couple of other groups.

The rapids were all smaller than at high water except for 3 Fords which had some big waves and a steep entry and the new and improved Joe Hutch Rapid.


River marking his territory at the first camp

Leaving Deso and entering Grays

Morning below Rock Creek

4 comments:

Newty said...

Are you trying to hurt me? You are killing me with the pictures. Driving away from sandwash that night was one of the worst moments of my life. I am glad you guys had fun without me and I am glad I could help with the shuttle but I will never do it again! Couldn't help but notice the lack of pictures with a kayak in the water.

Allan Stellar said...

Excellent photos! Reminds me that I need to make yet another sojourn to the Canyonlands...

Unknown said...

yep, the first comment sounds about right. haha.

next, the pictures are awesome! i couldn't wait to see what it looked like in the fall. it was really pretty. i was moved by the picture of river with the corpse, but i have to admit i wondered if he washed his hands before he ate anything.

next, i read thru some other posts. i agree the germans were a high light, along with "and i just thought they had refurbished the bathroom." i'm embarressed, because i don't even know how to spell refurbished, and river is using it in sentences.
this is very long. but i love the posts!

tiffy girl said...

looks like a great time, sorry that we couldn't join you on this trip but maybe next year:) beautiful canyon and wonderful pics!