Monday, October 13, 2008

Joint Trail

We hiked into the Joint Trail in Chesler Park on our backpack trip. The trail travels through a series of tight joint canyons. These are not typical slot canyons formed by water, they are places where the rock has fractured from pressure being applied from below and then slowly widened over the millenia from wind and water. They are interesting becasue they form at right angles and create almost perfect squares when viewed from above.

Aerial view of the portion of the Needles we hiked through


Overview of the area the Joint Trail travels through, you can see all of the squares that are formed by the fractures


Ty, River and Toad heading up a side canyon along the Joint Trail. River told me I needed to start working out so that I could fit in this side canyon. Thanks River.

3 comments:

Allan Stellar said...

Love the photos! This is a classy blog. Good job!!

Newty said...

gotta be the first time anything about Brian has been called ""Classy"

Julie Castellon said...

Looking at the picture of the "side canyon" increased my blood pressure. My heart rate increased and I am getting a little light headed. I really don't think anyone should be going in there! Thank goodness I don't fit, nice excuse...